Frequently asked questions are answered by following each of these links
Wells Cathedral Communion (open ringing)
- 1st & 3rd Sundays 8.45am - 9.45am
Wells Cathedral evensong
- 2nd 4th & 5th Sundays 1.30pm - 3pm
- By arrangement only for quarter peals
St Cuthberts (open ringing)
- 2nd, 4th & 5th Sundays 9am - 10am
- 1st Friday of the month
- 7.30pm - 9pm
- Doors locked at 7.45pm
- Entry by NW door under West Front
- Other Fridays (when not at cathedral)
- 7.30pm - 9pm
- 2 peals a year selected by ballot
- To enter the ballot, contact the cathedral tower correspondent in the previous year for consideration
- A 3rd peal rung by invitation around St Andrew's Day (end of November)
Application for 2020 Peal Attempts at Wells Cathedral
The dates of the 2020 peal attempts for visiting bands at Wells Cathedral are Saturday 25th January 2020 and Saturday 18th April 2020, plus an attempt arranged locally for St.Andrewtide on Saturday 28th November. All to start at 12 noon. The fee charged by the Cathedral for a peal attempt is £100.
A draw for the visiting bands will be held in January 2019. If you would like to apply to be entered into the draw, please send a cheque for £100 payable to “Wells Cathedral”, post dated to 31st January 2019, to the Cathedral tower correspondent (see Link for contact details). If you do not have a cheque book account, electronic transfer is possible and details will be provided on application.
Once the draw has been held, the cheques from the successful applicants will be passed on to the Cathedral Office to be cashed, and the remaining cheques will either be destroyed or returned. If you would like your cheque returned in the event that your application is unsuccessful, please include a return address with your application.
St Cuthberts Peals
- On application to St Cuthberts tower correspondent
- Wells Cathedral
- Bishop's Palace
- St Cuthberts (by arrangement)
- Union Street car park
- Market Place (by Square Edge Cafe behind Town Hall)
- Bus station
Market Place parking
- closed Wednesday and Saturday for market
- max stay 1 hour
Union Street Car Park
- short stay
- fills up quickly on saturdays
- max stay 3 hrs
Whiting Way (Waitrose) car park
- short stay ground floor
- long stay upper floor
- on street parking
- limited time monday-saturday 8am-6pm 2hrs,
- no return for 2hrs
- fills up quickly at popular cathedral events
St Cuthberts Street
- On street parking
- limited time Monday-Saturday 8am-6pm 1hr
- no return for 1hr
- Note: Priest Row round the corner is limited to 30mins
- no return for 1hr
- Contact between officers of the Society and members individually for the purpose of advising events and meetings, collection of subscriptions, distribution of newsletters and minutes of meeting including, where appropriate, electronic transmission.
- Contact between officers of the Society and non-members individually where the individual has requested information and/or for the purpose of organising ringing for weddings or other events where the ringers are paid or where ringing is requested.
- Minutes of meetings will include names of those members present and any actions or spoken participation by them.
- Photographs of members taken at events will not be published without permission.
- Personal information of members will be shared with the Churchwardens of St Cuthberts Church, Wells and with the Chapter Clerk of Wells Cathedral to enable them to carry out their legitimate business. Some details may be included in Bath and Wells Diosesan Association communications, notices or website where an individual has agreed for such use for the specific purpose as a contact (eg bookings for training). Details will only be shared with other third parties with the consent of the individual whose details are held.
- A request for access to, correction of or deletion of data held by the Society about an individual will be handled by the committee as soon as is reasonably practical.
582total visits,1visits today